STRETCH OF THE WEEK:
Fire Log Pose With Torso Twist
This is an amazing full body #stretch! The Fire Log Pose provides a deep stretch to the hips, opening the outer hips and buttocks. It also stretches and strengthens the groins, thighs, calves, and abdominal muscles. This pose also gently stimulates the abdominal organs, which helps to regulate digestion and metabolism. Adding in the Torso Twist is a great way to stretch the lumbar and thoracic spine as well. This stretch is PERFECT for pregnant and postnatal women. In addition however, the flexibility, mobility, and core benefits from this stretch are advantageous for all sorts of athletes and athletic activities involving torso rotation and hip stability, including baseball, volleyball, golf, tennis, rock climbing, MMA, dancing, gymnastics….well…everyone! 😀
DO THIS STRETCH!
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended, spine straight, and arms resting at your sides. * Bend your right knee and hug it to your chest. Then bring your right ankle to rest just above your left kneecap.
- Bend your left knee. Slide your left shin beneath your right shin, bringing your left ankle directly underneath your right knee.
- Work toward bringing your shins parallel to the top edge of your mat, keeping your right shin stacked directly above your left shin.
- Press your groins toward the floor and sit up straight. Keep your back strong and chest up – This is the Fire Log Pose
- Now to add the Torso Twist
- Place your right hand in front of your legs, fingers pointing forward, and your left hand directly behind you, fingers pointing backward.
- While maintaining a strong upright torso and keeping your knees and ankles down, gently twist to point your chest to the left.
- Hold for five seconds and repeat the twist to the other side. * Keep switching side to side for up to one minute.
- Release the pose slowly.
- Repeat for the same amount of time with the opposite leg on top